Activity wheel for head-restrained animal
The mouse is immobilized by the skull and walks on the top of the wheel. The animal may receive liquid rewards while running.
The apparatus is composed of:
- a plated-steel platform on which a stereotaxic apparatus may be fixed
- a low-torque activity wheel equipped with rotation sensors
- two syringe pumps to deliver liquid in front of the mouth of the animal
- a sound generator and loudspeaker
- two buttons whose actions may be controlled by the experimenter in the exercise (a press on one button would lead to one drop of liquid and a press on the second would lead to the emission of a sound)
- a TTL command. This signal may be used as a trigger by any electrophysiological or optogenetical system.
The software manages the distribution of liquid and the emission of sounds according to real-time locomotor data (instantaneous locomotor speed, acceleration, distance covered,…), and clocks.
Made to measure
This apparatus is adaptable according to your requests and your needs.
The main measured data are:
- real-time locomotor speed
- kinetics of the locomotor activity of the mouse
- distance covered
- number of drops of liquid distributed
The data are classified and exported into a Microsoft Excel file.